Sunday, August 17, 2014

Trying to Survive!!

I survived the first three days of school....barely. I have quite a challenging group this year and am really struggling with them! So I took a step back and started trying to decide what is taking place in the classroom during the few moments when they have been listening and making good choices, I discovered that they are the best when I'm reading books to them! So I invited our 3rd grade reading buddies over despite being super hesitant how it would go and it ended up being a huge success that I had to capture some sweet moments. 
They all look super cute reading, but I can't read all of the time! So tomorrow is time to implement the behavior chart! Their name is on a magnet and they start every day on green. They can move up or down as the day progresses. If they get on blue by the end of the day they get a prize from my treasure box. If they get on yellow, red, or black I made some behavior reflection papers for them to reflect on their choice and what they could do better next time. I also think I'm going to put a little carpet below it and call it the "Cool Down Zone" which is my nice phrase for "Time Out". We shall see how it goes! You can find my behavior clip chart here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Fishing-to-Success-A-Behavior-Clip-Chart-1274800
I also have to share this technique because I love it. First, I've never had assigned spots at the tables, but this year I wanted to try something new. I laminated all of the kids nameplates and attached Velcro so it's super easy to rearrange them! I already had to make some switch-a-Roos to separate some kiddos and it was quick and easy. 
I beg you to share your behavior techniques with me that work in your classroom! I would love to hear them and try them out with my kiddos! Hoping and praying tomorrow, Day 4, goes better! 

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing to go from a totally empty room to the cute one so fast! I think I am so slow... I can never decide where I want things and then I just take forever! We haven't started school yet here... but I better get moving! I like the idea for a "cool down zone" - I was trying to think of a name for my relaxing corner like that. I had originally heard of someone using the term "Alaska" for kids to go there to chill out :) But I like yours too! Nice to meet you! Happy new school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness "Alaska" is a super cute idea! I would totally use that and decorate the little spot with penguins! You haven't started school yet? When does your school start? I wouldn't have my room transformed so quickly if it wasn't for my amazing mom and dad that help me set it up! :) Thanks!!

      Delete