Thursday, September 4, 2014

Reading Fingers and Number Fun

I busted out the beloved reading fingers today aka witch fingers. I don't know what it is, but the witch fingers really help with tracking each word instead of just using their finger! The kids love them. We are working on our letter of the week book-Ss. We started by highlighting all of the Ss, circling the color word with the correct color crayon, coloring the picture, and then reading each page together.
Our number of the week is the #1 so I started my math lesson with, "sooo did you know that there are different ways to make the #1?" They were instantly intrigued with me just showing them the regular straight line one verses the "fancy one". They all decided they are fans of the fancy one. We discussed different ways to make the number one using manipulatives and then made a number craft. It turned out pretty cute. They wouldn't let me hang them up and basically demanded I let them take them home today!
We did this project whole group and it was a pretty big mess, but they all did a nice job cleaning up. However, I think next week for #2 we will try it in small groups! You can find numbers 1-10 here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Ways-to-Make-a-Number-0-10-1428842


No comments:

Post a Comment